Property Appeals Procedures
HANCOCK COUNTY BOARD OF REVISION
THE BOARD HEARS COMPLAINTS ON THE CURRENT MARKET VALUE OF PROPERTY, NOT THE TAX DOLLARS PAID.
Outlined below are steps to follow to complete DTE Form 1 "COMPLAINT AGAINST THE VALUATION OF REAL PROPERTY".
- Carefully read the instructions on the back side of the appeal form. Please supply all information requested in these instructions. If the property was purchased after January 1, 2019, include a copy of the closing statement and deed with the appeal form.
- Complete lines 1 through 15 on the appeal form. The Ohio Supreme Court has ruled that a Complaint may be dismissed if the information is not completely filled out. PLEASE TYPE OR PRINT ALL INFORMATION.
- FOR INCOME PRODUCING PROPERTY OWNERS: To ensure the information used in determining the value is correct, complete and include the INCOME/EXPENSE FORM with the appeal form. This is very important.
- FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY OWNERS: To ensure the information used in determining the value is correct, complete and include the RESIDENTIAL DATA FORM with the appeal form. This is very important.
- It is also suggested that pictures of the front and back of the property be provided.
- The appeal form must be signed by the individual property owner, general partner of a partnership, or an attorney representing the property owner. If signed by the property owner it must be signed in the presence of a Notary Public. Return the appeal form, along with the additional information requested, to the Hancock County Board of Revision, Courthouse, 300 South Main Street, Findlay OH 45840. The complaint form must be filed after January 1, 2020 and received by this office on or before March 31, 2020. If the appeal form is mailed, the USPS postmark must be on or before March 31, 2020 and must be legible. If the USPS postmark is not legible and the complaint is received after March 31, 2020, it will be the responsibility of the taxpayer to prove it was mailed timely. Complaints can legally only be accepted during this time period. If an appeal is filed outside the filing period, the complaint will be dismissed. If a complaint is filed after March 31st of any year, this could result in the inability to file a complaint for up to three years. The preferred method of notification of the hearing date and time is by email. (Please avoid providing PO Box numbers for a mailing address if possible.)
It is also requested all attorneys’, agents’ and corporate officers’ phone numbers be on the appeal form.
If there are any questions regarding this information or the completion of the appeal form, please contact the Board of Revision at 419-424-7836.
Click here for printable forms and instructions (Adobe Acrobat)