How to File a Name Change

In order to file in Hancock County Probate Court to change your name, you must have resided in Hancock County for a least one year prior to the filing of an application.  You must file the appropriate form(s) which can be found on the Supreme Court of Ohio website at the link to the right.  Forms for name changes are forms 21.0 through 21.6.

In addition to filing the appropriate forms, you must pay court costs which includes the costs for notice to be made in the Courier.  You must also present a certified copy of your birth certificate with your application.  A hearing will be scheduled thirty (30) days after the notice is provided in the newspaper.

If you are filing on behalf of a minor, you must file the application, pay the costs, and present a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate and provide written consent of both parents.  If both parents do not consent, notice must be made to the non-consenting parent by certified mail.

Once a name change is granted, the Court sends the information to the Ohio Department of Health, Division of Vital statistics.  The change can take up to eight (8) weeks.  Thereafter, you can go to the local health department and request a copy of your new birth certificate.